The quickest and best way to fix the situation:
- on the Print Checks Confirmation screen click the "Select All" button to place all the checks back in the to be printed queue.
- Go back to File > Print Forms > Checks (or Paychecks) and select all the same checks you had selected before. Enter the correct starting check number of the checks you just printed.
- Important: in the printer selection screen choose a printer that prints to file (Examples: Microsoft Office Document Image Writer, Microsoft XPS Document Writer, PDF Complete, Adobe PDF, etc)
- Save the file to someplace on the desktop.
- after printing you can delete the file off of your desktop, and all the numbers in quickbooks will now correspond to the numbers on the checks you just printed.